Niki Kaiser, Elizabeth Mountstevens, Michael Adenekan and Adam Robbins get together to discuss their approaches to the topic of structure and bonding.
- 00:00 Welcome and introductions
- 01:25 What do students find most difficult about structure and bonding?
- 08:55 What do you do to address student misconceptions about structure and bonding?
- 17:09 What misconceptions do teachers hold in this topic?
- 20:37 How do you build the topic in KS3 and how do you teach it in KS4?
- 41:15 What models do you find are the most useful to teach this topic?
- 48:40 What other resources do you use to teach this topic?
- 53:30 How do you achieve a balance between teacher autonomy and teacher consistency?
Niki has some useful links to accompany the discussion:
- Article about misconceptions in ionic bonding here: https://edu.rsc.org/ideas/how-i-tackled-misconceptions/3007771.article… and a short video explaining how and why I changed my approach to teaching, based on the student misconceptions I uncovered.
- Kate Nichols’ talk about how she sequenced Structure and Bonding macroscopic to sub-microscopic here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=eLJyoq8W89w&list=PL3aLY8XObng7PrOyEKZexr75zehvxZRRx&index=21&t=1s…
- The app we were talking about that allows students to connect different conceptual levels of structures, bonding and properties (called ‘Structures’) is here: https://sunflowerlearning.com/packs
- The worksheet I used to explicitly support students in connecting conceptual levels is here https://bit.ly/JsTriangleFramework…
- Some practical ideas here on how to use it here: https://bit.ly/JsTriangleEiC
Elizabeth has some suggested links on misconceptions:
- Beyond appearances Vanessa Kind: https://edu.rsc.org/download?ac=15564…
- RSC spot the bonding: https://edu.rsc.org/download?ac=13328…
- RSC ionic bonding misconceptions true or false: https://edu.rsc.org/download?ac=13324…
and also some on curriculum:
- This explains what we’ve done with structures and bonding at KS4: https://impact.chartered.college/article/the-spiral-curriculum-approach/…
- Models Bar model for ionic compounds: https://showme.com/sh?h=6FLS4n2
- Pipe cleaner and bead model: https://ocr.org.uk/Images/346972-modelling-covalent-bonding-lesson-element.docx…
You might also have noticed Adam sipping water from a rather fetching water bottle. He accidentally set up an edutwitter merch shop and you can buy that very same bottle (or t-shirt, bag, dog bandanna) here.