Nimish Lad and Neil Almond chat about students moving from primary to secondary school. What should KS3 teachers know about KS2? What should KS2 teachers know about KS3?
You can use the chapters embedded in the video to find any of the specific questions that we discuss (you might need to be on YouTube to actually see them):
- 00:00:00 Welcome and introductions
- 00:04:10 Deciding on science content in KS2
- 00:12:30 The ‘Science gap’ in Y7 and common misconceptions
- 00:19:45 Retrieval strength and the transition to Y7
- 00:24:38 The ‘ultimate’ Y7 student
- 00:28:22 Areas of science that are unrepresented at KS2
- 00:34:20 Use of CogSci in science. Booklets.
- 00:41:42 Concrete examples in KS2
- 00:47:55 Disagreements about the structure of a curriculum. Importance of subject knowledge.
- 00:52:30 Great metaphors/analogies for primary teachers. Hinterland.
- 00:59:40 Trickiest concepts to sequence. Importance of reading.
- 01:06:35 The ‘ultimate’ 5-16 year old science curriculum. Storytelling in the curriculum.
- 01:12:00 Get in touch
Below are some links to some of the blogs and articles that were touched upon:
Louise Cass and Mr Badham’s primary science resources.
Christopher Such’s primary science curriculum intent document.
Christopher Such’s primary science planning support sheets.
Core Knowledge’s science class texts.